Friday, November 9, 2012

HST - 8 at a Time

Hello Everyone,
 
I promised my Sew'n Wild Oaks class a tutorial on half-square triangles (HST) along with a handy dandy cutting chart located at the bottom of the page.
 
I make 8 HST at a time using this method that you've probably seen before, so this will be a refresher for some of you.
 
Begin with two squares, in this case I'm beginning with (2) 8" x 8" squares.
 

Place RIGHT sides together.


I use an OMNIGRID 1/4" ruler and I then draw a line on each side of the ruler from corner to corner.


Then do the same procedure on the other corner.  I use a Frixion pen for marking because I like the nice sharp point and it disappears as soon as the iron touches the marked fabric.


Your square will look like this.....ready for you to sew.......


....exactly on each of the lines....well as exactly as you can!


Then, use a ruler and your first cut will be down the center, vertically exactly through the intersection of the stitching lines.


Your second cut will be horizontally through the intersection of the stitching lines.


Then you will have this.


Now, cut diagonally through each of the little squares.


Press each HST with the seam toward the darker fabric.  Then, I used my Bloc-Loc ruler, (the best quilting tool known to quilters) and square it to the size you want. In this case, I'm squaring it to 3-1/2" x 3-1/2".  If you don't have a Bloc-Loc ruler, a regular ruler will work.


I have very little waste, and 8 perfect 3-1/2" HST in no time at all.


 
HANDY DANDY CUTTING CHART - Begin by cutting 2 squares - one dark, one light
 
CUT                       TRIM TO Unfinished HST                         
 
8" x 8"                  =   3-1/2" x 3-1/2"  
7" x 7"                  =   3" x 3"                                          
6" x 6"                  =   2-1/2" x 2-1/2"                           
5" x 5"                  =   2" x 2"                                         
4" x 4"                  =   1-1/2" x 1-1/2"                            
3-1/2" x 3-1/2"     =   1-1/4" x 1-1/4"                             
3" x 3"                  =   1" x 1"                                         
 
If you want to go any smaller than this, then you are crazier than me!  I've tried many other methods and I prefer this method until a new one comes along. I like the fact that I get 8 at a time.  Let's face it, when you make HST, you are usually making them in large amounts.  It is quick, easy and EXACTLY the size I want for precision quilting. After a couple of days, I'll move this tutorial under the VIRTUAL CLASSROOM tab at the top of the blog so that it will always be there as a reference.
 
Have a wonderful day quilting.
 
Soon,
 
Lynn
 
 
 
 
 


14 comments:

  1. Thanks! Great tutorial. I will use this. I love the fact that you 8.
    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the way I do them - unless they are 'cut-offs' from corners.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of all the quilting gifts I've given myself this year...YOU are the best!!! Great Tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome tutorial! I use Frixon pens for everything! I love them!

    Cheery wave!

    Bev

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, just so you know, you are awesome! Yes, I know how to make HSTs, but never in groups like this and have never seen that chart. Thank you...you rock!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey!! THANKS for sharing. Somehow I have never seen this technique. LOVE IT. As simple as sewing around the 4 sides of the big square, but here you DON'T have all those bias edges on the HSTs. Pure awesomeness. Now I need to make a lot of HSTs just to do this method. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sheer genius, Lynn! I've made them many ways, but never like this! You're the best!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, this is a new-to-me method and looks great for when I want a scrappy look.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lynn, I have recently started using that method for half square triangles, and the Bloc Loc ruler, and love both.What I really appreciate is your size chart, will be copying that and keeping it handy. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never seen this method before and will share it with all my quilty friends. It is awesome that you get 8 at a time, what a time saver when making a border out of HST's--thanks..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Lynn, that chart is just what I needed. I have recently started using this method, but kept thinking I'd do a chart of what size squares to use for what size HSTs but you've saved me having to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for the tutorial, Lynn, I'll be making my HSTs like this in future.

    ReplyDelete