Thursday, September 1, 2011

A Healthy Dose of Mother Nature

Hello Everyone,


No quilting from this neck of the woods for the past week.  We've been playing tour guide through our beautiful Redwood forests and high mountain lakes.  One batch of company left this morning, another group arrives later on this afternoon.  I have just enough time to regroup and put a short post together.

I'm so often asked where I get my inspiration for color and quilting designs.  I'm surrounded by inspiration....everywhere I look.  From the little mushroom cap growing in the nook of a rotting tree....


.....to the towering spires of the majestic giant redwoods over 2000 years old.

The color of the bark and the greenery in the forest inspire me to do better.  To really see nature and appreciate her beauty......a gift for us to cherish and preserve.


As I put my quilting projects aside for the week, and hiked the mountain trails both groomed and ungroomed, I was in total awe....as always.  It was a healthy dose of Mother Nature that I needed.....to relax and calm the soul, regenerate the spirit, renew the love of friends and family. 



Yesterday, we were the only people at Elephant Rock Lake in Alpine County.  The elevation is 6863' and it was a very pleasant 70 degrees.   Zinnie enjoyed the walk around the lake, the picnic on the shore, and chasing sticks in the water.  This was pure doggie and people heaven.



Zinnie is the impartial judge for the Pick Four contest. You still have time to enter.  Just leave a comment on this post or my last post and your name will be entered in the drawing to win a copy of Pick Four by Sue Abrey.

Try to get out into nature this holiday weekend.  Look, really look at colors, textures, leaves, flowers and the blue sky above.  One can't help but be inspired.

As always,

Lynn

7 comments:

  1. Ohhh, I've just got to win the lottery so I can come and visit your area. This looks just wonderful from your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the beautiful pictures, I can almost smell the moss and crisp air just looking at those pictures. And what a great way to study color and color combinations.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can think of no better inspriation, Lynn! Enjoy the rest of your time in the woods!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lynn....Thanks for the heads up about my profile..... I fixed it. Teri

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a wonderful place to be! You are very lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  6. know what you mean about being a tour guide. I love when family and friends come to visit but it does take some of my quilting time away

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Zinnie, pick me you lovely creature you!
    That lake is totally inspiring, as are the magnificent trees.

    ReplyDelete